It's Chai Time ~ Jewish Citrus Cake (Gateau l'orange)

Citrus again. I love citrus. It's obvious. This is actually the second time that I bake this cake. The recipe I was using this time was a bit different but it's still the same amazing cake. Just more lemon and more orange. 

Here's where I got the recipe from. Don't forget to check out all of her recipes, they're simply amazing. I have to say that I read a lot of food blogs and recipe posts and stuff like that and her blog is a good one. A really good one. Her pictures make me want to bake and eat everything right away.

As always, I changed the recipe a bit. Besides, I translated the recipe into English since I speak French and want you to be able to read my posts. Oh and one more thing: try it! I'm serious, try this recipe, it's the best lemon cake I've ever had, the flavor is amazing and the texture is extremely fine and fluffy. Just try it. 


Jewish Citrus Cake (or gateau l'orange)

4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup orange juice
zest and juice of 1 lemon (or more)
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp or baking powder
200gm candied lemon peel

Preheat oven to 175degC. Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer until stiff and white. Beat together egg yolks, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar until well combined. Sieve over flour and baking powder, add candied lemon peel. Mix until well incorporated. Then gently fold in the beaten egg whites until combined. Do not beat anymore. Pour the patter into a round baking pan (do not grease the pan). Bake for about 1 hour until done. Remove from the pan and let cool completely. 

Optional: Dust with powdered sugar.


Gulchathaii