Carrot Orange Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting


Well, I had some carrot left-overs. I love carrot cake. And I love cream cheese. So I combined those two yummy elements and and about one and a half hours later I had some lovely carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting sitting in my kitchen waiting for me to eat them all up.



Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
makes about 12 medium size cupcakes

cupcakes
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 cups finely grated carrots
zest of 1 orange

Preheat oven to 150C. Line 12 muffin pans with muffin cups.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat the eggs for about 1 minute. Add sugar and orange zest and continue beating until very light and foamy. Quickly beat in oil. Sieve over the dry ingredients and mix until you have a soft batter without any lumps. Fold in the grated carrots and mix well. Fill the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes. Let cool completely.

frosting
112gm butter, at room temperature
250gm curd cheese (or cream cheese)
1 cup icing sugar

Beat butter and curd cheese using a hand mixer until incorporated. Sieve over the icing sugar and beat again. The frosting should be very smooth and thick. Fill into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
Optional: Use orange jelly and melted chocolate to decorate.
Enjoy :)