It's Chai Time ~ Raspberry Lemon Cake


This was the first time ever for me to bake this type of cake. It was for my aunt's and my uncle's 20th wedding anniversary and I wanted to bake something special. Since my aunt is totally in love with berries I decided to use raspberries. The lemon flavour was my own desire, as I'm crazy about citrus fruits. Raspberries and lemons go so well together. I'm so glad everyone liked it. Hopefully, you try this recipe and like it, too.


  
Raspberry Lemon Cake

about 2 cups of raspberries, drained (or use more, if desired)

Batter

2 cups white flour
2 teasp baking powder
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
zest of (at least) 1 lemon
1 cup oil

Preheat oven to 175C. Line 2 round pans with baking paper. Do not grease the sides. 
Combine flour and baking powder. Beat eggs until fluffy, then add sugar and beat in for about 2 minutes until you have an extremely light and bubbly mixture. 
Beat in oil and lemon zest. 
Sieve over flour mixture and quickly beat in just until incorporated.
Pour into 2 prepared pans and bake for about 20 minutes until done. Let cool completely.


Frosting

200gm сметанa (or sour cream, about 25% fat)
1/2 cup yogurt (not low fat)
about 2 Tabsp sugar

Beat together sour cream, yogurt and sugar until incorporated. Set aside.


Topping / Glaze

juice of 1 lemon
130ml water
1 teasp corn starch
(red food coloring, if desired)
+ some almonds for sprinkling

Put lemon juice, water, corn starch (and food coloring) into a medium-size sauce pan and bring to a boil while continiously whisking to avoid lumps. As the mixture starts to become thicker, remove from heat and let cool for about 1 minute.


Take the first layer and place it onto a plate.
Spread half of the frosting mixture on the first layer.
Place half of drained raspberries on the frosting while gently pressing them in.
Cover with second layer.
Place the remaining raspberries equally onto the second layer (For this step I used the pretty raspberries while I put the not-so-pretty berries between the layers, as mentioned before.)
Take the lightly cooled glaze, pour over the top of the raspberries and spread all over.
Now frost the sides of the cake using the rest of the frosting mixture. 
Sprinkle almonds on top. Let sit for about 3 hours.
And enjoy.







My aunt's delicious Raspberry White Chocolate Tiramisu






And of course her amazing Honey Cake. That cake can really make my day.


Gulchathaii