Homemade Yogurt




Honestly, I was never into this making-everything-by-yourself-at-home kind of stuff. I would always buy everything plain and simple at the supermarket. But now - since I've realised that making everyday food on your own is so surprisingly easy - it has changed. Yes, obviously, making your own food does take you a little bit more time than buying it. And yes, you sometimes have to make more efforts for one meal than just going to the supermarket. But it's totally worth it. Trust me. It's much healthier and more delicious to eat homemade food, no matter if it's homemade jam, juice, bread, ice cream, granola or in this case - yogurt. 
Not very long ago David Lebovitz wrote about his experience of making homemade yogurt on his blog. It sounded really simple and yummy and since I had a litre of full-fat milk and some yogurt left I decided to try it right away. And it is indeed that simple and yummy. The consistency can be compared to full-fat greek yogurt, really creamy and fluffy. And I was really, well, let's say, surprised by the taste, because it was less sour than plain supermarket yogurt and it had this strong natural sweetness, which I adore. 
But try it yourself. Here comes my attempt ...


Homemade yogurt

1 l milk (I used 3.5 % fat)
4 Tabsp plain yogurt

Heat the milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil while continously stiring. When the milk is boiling, remove from heat and pour the hot milk in a large bowl. Let cool down a little bit until it's a bit warmer than room temperature (about 30 - 45 minutes). Whisk in the plain yogurt until incorporated. Now cover the glass bowl with a plastic wrap and leave it in a warm spot for about 10 - 12 hours. Some say that 3 hours is enough, I left mine undisturbed at a very warm place for 11 hours and it was perfectly fine. When the yogurt has the consistency that you want, let it chill in the fridge for some hours. 
And now you finally have it, you're own homemade yogurt. It is really that easy. 

Enjoy it with whatever you like, e.g. with some apple rhubarb compote and honey like I did ...