It's Chai Time ~ Zapekanka (Запеканка) With Poppy Seeds

And I'm back again with traditional Zapekanka again. It's obvious that it will always be one of my favorite desserts or sweets ever. This time I changed the recipe a bit and added poppy seeds which gave a nice flavor to the Zapekanka. 


 Zapekanka (Запеканка) with Poppy Seeds

120gm soft margarine
100gm sugar
3 egg yolks
vanilla extract, if desired
3 egg whites
a pinch of salt
2 tabsp baking powder
7 tabsp semolina
500gm curd cheese
200gm cottage cheese (not low fat!)
3 tabsp softened poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 180degC. Beat together margarine, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy. Beat egg whites and salt until white and stiff. Combine baking powder, semolina, curd cheese, cottage cheese and poppy seeds and mix well. Add sugar mixture to cheese mixture, mix well. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites, do not over beat the batter. Fill into a round baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool completely. 

Optional: Add lemon zest, lemon juice or lemon flavor. Dried apricots, cut in small pieces. 


This Zapekanka was a bit different from the other ones that I usually make, I think it was because I did not just mix everything together, but seperated the eggs and made three different mixtures. The texture of the Zapekanka was totally different, more like a cheese cake. But I liked it though, it was very delish!

I hope you enjoyed :) Thanks for reading!

Gulchathaii