It's Chai Time ~ Delicious Dried Fruit Cake


Not very long ago I found a recipe for a 'Cake aux cranberries, abricots, noix et rhum' while stalking Alina's blog (which is so much fun cause her recipes are amazing and always exactly what I am looking for!). It totally reminded me of my grandma's raisin cake and that's why I had to bake it, I mean, who does not adore grandma's raisin cake? 
The result was mouthwatering. Honestly. I admit that I changed the recipe, as always, because I didn't have any abricots or cranberries at home, I used candied orange peel and a lot of raisins instead. But it doesn't change the fact that this cake is one of the softest and sweetest things on this planet and has to be tried by everyone. So please do me a favor and try my dried fruit cake, you won't be able to get enough of it!



Dried Fruit Cake (makes 2 loaves)
adapted from Patisserie Maison

4 eggs
2.5 cups white flour
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 cup liqueur
100gm whole almonds (or more...)
4 tsp baking powder
200gm candied orange peel
100gm raisins (or more)
some sliced almonds for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 150C. Grease two loaf pans. 
Heat liqueur until just a bit warmed and add candied orange peel and raisins. Let soak for a while.
Beat together eggs, sugar and oil until well combined and fluffy.
Sieve over flour and baking powder and beat in quickly just until incorporated. 
Now gently fold in liqueur with soaked fruits and almonds. 
Fill the batter into the prepared pans, sprinkle with some sliced almonds and bake for about 45 minutes until done and nicely browed.
Remove the cakes from the pans very carefully because the cake is extremely soft and spongy. Then let cool completely. Then eat it!

Optional: I guess that a single teaspoon of cinnamon would make this cake even more delicious than it already is. The same with honey. Honey will probably give the cake more natural sweetness than sugar.



Gulchathaii